Can cephalexin be used for epididymitis ?

General Surgeon
Can cephalexin be used to cure epididymitis. Or is there another antibiotic with minimal side affects. My doctor prescribed Ciprofloxacin which is having too many side afeects.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 35 minutes later

Thanks for nice query.     

Cephalexin along with metrogyl is useful in treating case of epidydymitis. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic and is effective against various bacteria and an useful drug.

I have been using 'ciprofloxacin' in many of my patients with no serious side effects. So do not worry.

If you wish to use cephalexin, discuss with your treating doctor about its dosage and frequency.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Can cephalexin be used for epididymitis ? 3 hours later
Which antibiotic has the least side effects when treating epidydymitis? I am 74 years of age. Are there any herbal remidies you could recommend?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 19 hours later

Thanks for writing again.     

While writing prescription one has to balance between side effects and efficacy of antibiotics against.

Nature of antibiotics also varies depending upon acute or chronic Epididymitis .

As you are 74 years of age, to me it appear as case more of chronic than acute Epididymitis

Since bacteria that cause like E.coli are often the cause of Epididymitis.

When person is sensitive to Co-trimoxazole or Penicillin and unable to tolerate Quinolines like Ciproflox, Cephalexin can be used and is better tolerated with least side effects.

Another safe drug is Azithromycin.

Medicines should be taken as advised by examining doctor after proper discussion and doubt cleared.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

Follow-up: Can cephalexin be used for epididymitis ? 2 hours later
Dr. Bajoria, thank you for your response. I have not had to take any antibiotics over the last 12 years - fortunately. I do not recall ever being sensitive to penicillin - no adverse reaction - but have only taken it perhaps 4-5 times in my entire life. Would penicillin be effective against epididymitis?

My doctor did not characterize my epididymitis as acute. When driving a car, I just have an ache (not pain) in the right testicle and immediately above in my pelvis. Moving my sitting position to take pressure of the scrotum helps. Standing up straight and walking around there is discomfort but only a very slight ache. I am taking Ibuprofen which reduces the ache. At my age my doctor ruled out testicular cancer but did order an ultrasound exam of the testicles. Also several blood tests. Results will be available in a few days.

I need to get my doctor to change my prescription tomorrow and if penicillin will work that will be my first choice. If you think it would not work, what would be the next step up the ladder in terms of low side effect antibiotics?

Many thanks for your prompt and very helpful answers to my questions. The service you offer is very much needed.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 14 hours later

It’s nice to hear from you again.

It will be nice on your part if you can wait till you get the result of blood test and ultrasound test. They will through more light on the correct diagnosis.

If you are not sensitve to penicillin, you can take it under the supervision & guidance of your treating physician. Though your examining doctor can better judge the case and can prescribe safer medicine with fewer side effects in appropriate doses.

Cehalexin and azithromycin are also better drugs that are more commonly used and with less side effects. They may also be tried under consultation of your doctor.

To me your case appear to be mild epididymitis which needs to be confirmed after the tests.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction.

Wish you speedy and healthy recovery.