Can cellulitis surgery be performed for diabetics ?

Hi, My Dad has been hospitalized for the last two weeks for various ailments like:
1. Acute Cellulitis (Doctors called it sepsis)
2. High Jaundice
3. High BP and high sugar
At this time 2 and 3 are controlled and the cellulitis on the leg is subsided. But doctors have said that he would need to undergo a surgery tomorrow as there are dead tissues. My question is how safe is to to go with surgery especially when my dad is diabetic
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Diabetes is not a contraindication for any surgery.

In case of cellulitis, the dead tissue and the debris accumulated needs a removal for better healing. The dead tissue will otherwise not allow the rest of the healthy area to heal. Once the dead tissue debris is removed, the healthy tissue will get oxygen, a good blood supply and also topical antibiotics which will help in faster recovery.

The extent of debridement needed can only be assessed clinically and the treating surgeon can do the best assessment. You should definitely go with your doctor's advise.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.