Can cannabis be taken for pain after Brain Aneurysm surgery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hello my friend just had a Brain Aneurysm surgery and is taking lots of heavy drug for the pain. She is lots of pain she does not want to continue taking all those pain meds she always like in a coma state cause they really mess her up. She want to take cannibis edibles can she for the pain thanks
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. You have mentioned about the multiple pain medications, if you can specify, which ones, then, it would be more helpful. I agree, cannabis, is available in medication form, to treat neuropathic pain. However, this should be started only after consulting your doctor. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Can cannabis be taken for pain after Brain Aneurysm surgery? 6 hours later
Thanks for the quick reply She is taking Oxycodine -Acetaminophen 5's and a stool softner -Colace

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Oxycodone-acetaminophen combination is a safe medicine for pain relief. May be the dose can be readjusted to reduce her drowsiness and "coma-like" state. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Can cannabis be taken for pain after Brain Aneurysm surgery? 3 minutes later
Her question is if she can stop taking the Oxycodone and substitute it with a milder cannibuis infused edible thanks

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Yes, as I mentioned in my first reply, it can be replaced with cannabis, under medical supervision. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Thank you dr have a wonderful hoilday i will tell her

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: Thank you and best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)