Can cancer cells derived from mice grow into humans?

I am a researcher currently working on pancreatic cancer. While I was injecting a mouse with a suspension of pancreatic cancer cell line(originating from mice), I accidentally injured my abdomen (subcutaneous tissue) with the needle. The mice we use are sterile, but will by any chance i may be at risk? can those cancer cells drived from mice grow into humans? If the cell line was from humans, would it be a risk? Should i do anything? I am otherwise healthy.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your account in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Please dont panic. Unlike HIV and Hepatitis, cancer cells are not infectious. Even if exposed to blood or any other cells like the cell line in your case, it cannot spread. You have no risk of acquiring a cancer by a needle prick.
However you should care ful while working with biological specimens. If you have any wound do takecare of it. Otherwise there is nothing more to worry at this stage.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD