Can calosoft be used for psoriasis?

Mar 2016

What is the use of Calosoft? Can this be used for itching/redness/dryness, psoriasis like symptoms?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Calosoft lotion generically contains calamine as main ingredient with aloe vera gel & light liquid paraffin. It has several benefit and acts as anti itching agent, anti inflammatory, emollient & moisturizer.

It is basically used to treat mild to moderate itching cases like sunburn, eczema, rashes, chickenpox, insect bites, stings etc. It gives soothing effect on applying over the affected skin. It also acts as a mild antiseptic.

It can be used in all above said conditions that you have mentioned. But in case of psoriasis or severe itching, you need to take other supportive medication to get more symptomatic relief. In such cases, you need to consult with a dermatologist.

Take healthy diet with complete avoidance of allergic food stuffs (like egg, prawn, crab, brinjal, cabbage etc) or environment. You can take anti oxidant (like Vit- E etc) supplements along with diet. Maintain genital hygiene properly and try to avoid stress/ tension by regular XXXXXXX breathing or yoga. Also you should take a sound sleep with complete relaxation to maintain healthy life style.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Can calosoft be used for psoriasis? 21 minutes later
I would appreciate if you could suggest external medicine for psoriasis.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

There are several treatment modalities to treat psoriasis and these are divided in three types.

1) Topical treatment- with using corticosteroid, anthralin, calcineurin inhibitor (tacrolimus), coal tar, moisturizers, vitamin D analogues, retinoids etc.

2) Light/ photo therapy- includes sunlight, UVB (ultra violet B) photo therapy, narrow band UVB therapy, Psoralen plus UVA, excimer laser etc.

3) Systemic medication- includes retinoids, cyclosporin, methotrexate, hydroxyurea, immunomodulator drugs etc.

Right treatment option is only made by your dermatologist and it depends on the type and severity of psoriasis as well as the affected skin area. Effective treatment of psoriasis is always a challenging task in spite of wide range options.

Hope above information is very much sufficient & helpful to you.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen