Can calcium chloride cause cramps?

Question
I HAVE BEEN ADVISED TO TAKE calcium cHORIDE I TOOK 1/4 TEASPN IN WATER FOR TWO DAYS, AND I HAVE HAD TERRIBLE CRAMPS ALL NIGHT, I NORMALLY SUFFER FROM CRAMPS, BUT THESE ARE WORSE, CAN THE MAG C BE WHAT IS MAKING THESE WORSE? I AM HAVING A FOOT OPERATION IN A WEEK AND IF CRAMPS ATTACK ME DURING THE NIGHT I WON'T BE ABLETO HOP OUT OF BED, THANK YOU
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: What was the indication for this calcim supplement Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these terrible cramps. If I may ask what was the indication for this calcium pills? It would be very unlikely for this to be caused by Mag C because magnesium is more of a muscle relaxant and would not cause cramps except in deficiencies. My thinking is that one of the ingredients in this calcium supplement to be responsible fir these cramps. I will suggest that you stop and get a different brand for this supplement. This would most likely take care of the problem as the description of these cramps could not be justified by calcium/magnesium intake. If the same symptoms should recur, please let me know. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Can calcium chloride cause cramps? 14 minutes later
I have been taking calcium for years for cramps, it has never helped, this is not a "pill" it is CALCIUM CHLORIDE which is different and is in flakes. It was suggested it would help clear up a lot of my other problems, stress, anxiety, IBS, I take other vitamins. After the op I will not be able to put my foot down, and at present I have to hop out of bed several times a night. I have high blood pressure which is under control. these cramps are horrific in both legs during the night. shear agony

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for this follow up! Detailed Answer: thanks for this follow up. Yes, I know this isn't a pill. Rather taken dissolved in water. I have never heard of this product being able to take care of different condition as you mentioned. Also, taking this product has caused more discomfort than you started up with and should be clearly discontinued. Because there is no clear indication or this product, stopping it completely would be a good option. The principal cause of muscle cramps is calcium and magnesium deficiencies. with these supplemented over these would be less likely. It would be great if your doctor could try antispasmodic medications like baclofen to control for involuntary muscle contractions that causes cramps and pains. I hope this helps. Keep me updated whether your doctor chooses to try you on this drug or not. Let me know if there is more information or clarification you would like us to talk on. Dr. Ditah, MD.