Can cabergoline medication be taken while on HCG diet ?

I have prolactinoma and am on cabergoline. I am considering going on the hcg diet(homeopathic). can hcg elevate prolactin levels? and should i continue taking cabergoline if this is the case?
I am also hypothyroid and on you suggest i contine ths as well.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 2 hours later

Cabergoline is a common medicine to treat prolactinomas ,it will bring down the levels of prolactin .

Hcg diet is a new diet which is being practiced by many people in the world to lose weight, the effects of the diet happen by creating a hormonal change in the body by introducing HCG in the body and leading to weight loss with calorie modifications.Every diet has its side effects , so is the HCG diet, since it creates a hormonal change there are changes that it cause in the other hormones like prolactin as well , there has not been much of a co relation between HCG and prolactin , though HCG can cause reduction in prolactin levels .

I would advise you to seek help from a diet professional before starting the same .My opinion would be not to go for the HCG diet and try other natural ways of losing weight , though I understand it could be tedious and time consuming , the side effects would be lesser compared to hormone based diets.

I would suggest you continue caborgoline and the thyroid medicines , and take a review from your doctor about stopping these medicines , if you plan to go on HCG diet , it would not be wise to stop them as they are very essential for your condition and it would be better to switch to another diet plan instead .

I hope I answered your questions , I would be available for follow up queries as well.