Can bronchitis cause heart palpitations?

Can Bronchitis cause heart palpatations? I have had fevers which stopped 7 days ago. Coughing has been going on for 3 weeks. I just finished a round of antibiotics
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query with diligence. Bronchitis does not causes heart palpitations but the drugs used for treatment and associated with anxiety, Hypertension, high cholesterol level and pain can cause heart palpitations. Causes for heart palpitations are:
1. Anxiety itself is a major cause for heart palpitations and occurs in most of the patients who is suffering from it.

2. Drugs which stimulate the heart rate like Bronchodilators can cause increase in heart rate and you feel it like palpitations.

3. Hypothyroidism: Get checked your Thyroid function test to rule out this.

4. Heart conditions like Atrial Fibrillation or PSVT (Paroxysmal Supraventricular tachycardia) feels you like your heart is pumping really fast.

To get to a diagnosis you have to get your EKG done at the time of heart palpitations or get your 24 hours holter examination done which includes the episode of heart palpitations. Consult you treating doctor for investigations and to get to a diagnosis. Once the diagnosis is established you can plan the further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back for any further query.

Best Wishes and get well soon

Dr. Kulbir Singh