Can bright red blood in stool be a sign of colon cancer?
User rating for this question
Can bright red blood be a sign of colon cancer? I always thought it was due to hemorroids. It only happens after BM. Had it 2 wks. Ago. And now again.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Yes, it can be a sign of colon cancer. But this is much less frequent reason of bright red blood in the stool than hemorrhoids. However you need to know that some part of hemorrhoids patients has also colon cancer. This conditions can coexist. Please imagine that hemorrhoids are external sign of whole colon condition. Same factors can cause hemorrhoids and colon cancer (low fiber diet, constipation). Hemorrhoids usually give bright red blood on the surface of the stool and on the toilet paper. Colon cancer gives blood mixed with the stool. But it does not mean that you have colon cancer. It only means that you need to rule it out. That is why I suggest you to have colonoscopy (even without any symptoms you should have it every 10 years like every person over 50). To improve hemorrhoids condition (not to heal them completely) please follow this steps: - increase fiber rich products and mineral water intake - avoid constipation - do not push hard on stool - use hemorrhoids suppositories - have sitz baths with Oak Bark Such treatment should help. To have hemorrhoids cured, surgery is necessary. But first colonoscopy should be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Can bright red blood in stool be a sign of colon cancer? 14 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Yes, this is characteristic for hemorrhoids. It is known that it takes about 10 years for colon cancer to grow. So your colonoscopy is still valid and no need to repeat it (if your symptoms are stable). Please follow mentioned steps and the bleeding should be gone. Regards.
People also viewed
- Probiotics made me bloated gassy
- Parasite that burrows under skin
- Colon cancer blood in stool
- Pre pyloric stomach inflammation
- Pepcid proton pump inhibitor
- What is the safest maximum dose for viagra
- Will fundal fibroids prevent conception
- No blood in stool colon cancer
- Is it safe to take flucloxacillin capsules for infection
- Probiotic yogurt in pregnancy
- Cause of clear liquid discharge from rectal area
- Loose stools and colon cancer
- Are crampsspotting and pain around nipple signs of pregnancy
- Bloody stool colon cancer
- Colon cancer and green stools