Can breast cancer spread to thyroid?

Had first pet scan for breast cancer 10 weeks after chemotherapy. bilat/mastectomy, node negative, her 2+++ Er +. my oncologist told me everything was good and NO UPTAKE seen in bones or organs however, it showed inflammation under mastectomy scars (both) and cancer was on one breast, and small FPG accumulation in the thyroid gland. she told me to follow with my internist for thyroid lab tests. Is this significant? is there a difference between accumulation or uptake? to my knowledge breast cancer does not spread to the thyroid. Please advise, I'm worried about these 2 findings
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later

1. Breast cancer can spread to thyroid, but it is extremely rare.

2. The thyroid uptake of FDG can be due to unrelated thyroid disorder.

3. Some uptake on the scars is normal.

4. I dont think there is any difference between uptake and accumulation.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.