Can brain damage occur by not holding child's head properly? Worried about shaken baby syndrome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
hi

my daughter is 6 weeks old, i pick her up by her armpits and put her down that way but i make sure i have my fingertips behind her head picking her up and my hand behind her head putting her down because i dont feel comfortable picking her up by scooping her i get nervous and shake it was easier when she was smaller and not floppy and all, anyway i lay her on my chest to breastfeed and have my arm to support her head but when she lifts away from the nipple she can move her head up real fast or back down and can move it side to side sometimes too fast that my hand can't support it fast enough she has really good neck strength but i feel like i don't support her head good enough sometimes it moves around but i try and support it the best i can i was wondering if that could cause her brain damage by not holding her head good enough or is it impact like shaken baby syndrome that does damage , i would never shake her but i feel sometimes her head does fall back or forward on me and when she does the head movements when i feed her could that cause her damage? im just really concerned her neck has good strength and is perfectly fine im just concerned about the brain
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that there are almost no chances of brain injury in your little daughter with the head movements that you have described.

Typically, it needs very violent shaking of the baby by an adult to cause brain damage as is seen in shaken baby syndrome.

Also, her tone and strength in the neck muscles would improve soon, as she aquires those normal developmental milestones.

As of now, there is no need to worry.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Can brain damage occur by not holding child's head properly? Worried about shaken baby syndrome 16 minutes later
thanks for your help
so is sbs the only type of movement that can cause damage then or is not supporting the head can do that too

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 32 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Just to clarify, not supporting the head for short periods would not cause any brain injury. However, it may cause some muscle sprain in the neck muscles, if not supported for long.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Can brain damage occur by not holding child's head properly? Worried about shaken baby syndrome 17 hours later
thanks again i just have one more question

my daughter was screaming and so i opened a new pacifier from the package and i only rinsed it under hot tap water for a couple minutes i didn't wash it with soap i just rinsed it then gave it to her quickly is it bad that i only rinsed it with hot water before first use?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Doing it once is alright. However, there is a risk of infection while just rinsing with hot water. So, in future, I would suggest washing with soap too.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM