Can bone marrow transplant be done with low blood count?

Is bone marrow transplant can be done with low blood count, what is the lowest blood count required the patient in question is having a 20,000platelets, 300WBC Count AND 9.1 HEMOGLOBIN
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The short answer to your question is that absolutely, a bone marrow transplant can be performed with low blood counts. The bone marrow transplant will introduce a completely new system of blood cell production into the body of the patient. These blood cells eventually will start to produce the red blood cells as well as white blood cells and play with over time the hope is that the bone marrow transplant will help restore the normal blood counts.

I believe in a patient such as you are we furring to which appears to be a young boy that his blood counts would certainly support a bone marrow transplant. Prior to the transplant often we give medications to depress the blood count even further to eliminate any of the cancerous cells. This is often done in a very controlled environment in highly specialized cancer treatment centers.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert