Can blood testing procedures lead to HIV?

General Surgeon
Anxiety, fear, stress and medical questions about hiv/aids/hepatitis... Anxiety medication Ok here is the story... I was a normal healthy 22 year old and then i started getting constipation... I got nervous and decided to test for hiv at a free std clinic on nov. 8th ... I am from south America so i drew blood at a blood center which showed a high antigen for cea... Jan 16th on Jan 21st i got a colonoscopy and egd at a private hospital.. I started to grow suspicious and i got a serology which only showed herpes simplex.. I told my counselor im afraid of hiv or cancer and that i might die... She ordered an involuntary psychiatric evaluation .. I was rushed to the er forced to do blood sugar monitoring.. Blood sample and urine sample... Got evaluated by psychiatrist and discharged... Anxiety disorder nos.. Now im really sad and stressed is there any chance that after this whole process i might have been infected?? I mean after all that testing ... Hiv clinic.. Blood drawn twice... A colonoscopy and egd.. Im sad and scared... Odds of infection? What should i do from this point forward?
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: The risk of transmission is Nil Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX I do understand your concern and apprehension. Let me reassure you that there is no cause for concern. During blood drawing, Colonoscopy or any medical procedure all the medics and paramedics ensure good precautions for themselves and also of patient. There is absolutely no cause for concern. . Being a Surgeon myself, I cone across infected blood products and other risk of hiv transmission. All Surgeon including myself use Universal precautions to prevent transmission of blood borne disease like HIV AND HEPATITIS B. We Surgeon and other medical personal are exposed everyday to the risk of contracting the infection. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. The risk of you having contracted infection through these procedure is almost nil. Do take care of yourself. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon