Can bloating and chest pain around sternum be signs of Pleural Effusions?

Hello! My name is XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX Ohio. I had minimal-invasive aortic heart valve surgery 6 months ago. Since that time, I have been doing OK, but I continue to have gastrointestinal problems: Throughout most of the day, I feel bloated with some minuscule and ongoing burping throughout the day. I also have mild to moderate chest pains seemingly around the sternum that increases with the amount of bloating. When I am at rest, and the bloating is mild or gone, I feel OK. And once I am settled into bed for the night, I seem to be OK, until I awake. Then, the problem usually continues. Could I have Pleural Effusions or heart valve stenal wire problems? I am curious if you could suggest some action on my behalf to isolate what might be going on. I would greatly appreciate it. Tired of the continuous impact!
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Sounds more like reflux. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for posting you query. I have carefully studied your complaints and I understand your concern. From the description you have provided, I strongly suspect GERD(Gastro esophageal reflux disease). Continuous burping with retro sternal chest pains and bloating suggests that the problem is due to the stomach acids gurgling back up into the esophagus. I would suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist for a complete evaluation including physical exam, and ideally upper gastro intestinal endoscopy to confirm the cause. Reflux occurs due to lax lower esophageal sphincter, this be treated with proton pump inhibitors such as esemoprazole. Please consult a gastroenterologist and get evaluated. Hope this answers your query, if you need any clarifications, please do feel free to write back. Wishing you speedy recovery. Regards.