Ask a Urologist   »  

Can bladder stone irritate the mucosa enough to cause nerve damage?

64 yr old male Doc I have had peripheral Neuropathy in my feet and left leg for about two years. (motor and sensory)The symptoms started slowly in my left foot and quad then the onset was immediate in my left groin hip area i attributed this to vigorous stretching (impingement) Not a good assumption on my part. I had a swollen area in the crease of my L leg which has now subsided almost completely. I can walk 3 miles now and the tingling is much less. I recently went to get some blood work done to track down the cause of neuropathy my A1C test was 5.5 and all blood results were within normal parameters. I have micro blood in my urine(10-30 ) -an ultra sound showed a 1.1cm x.75cm bladder stone. It is causing some abdominal discomfort -Doctor said i have BPH (PSA 1.7)and i don;t completely empty my bladder- i;m worried that something in my bladder has invaded the bladder wall and affected my nerves. Can a bladder stone irritate the mucosa enough to cause nerve damage? Im fairly sure that's where the nerve tingling radiates from.Can i have a stone for 2 years? Do you feel damage could be permanent? I have a cystoscope exam in 3 weeks. am concerned
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be related

Detailed Answer:
HI there
Thank you for sending in your query.

Stones in the kidneys and bladder are a common problem. They can cause symptoms like pain, blood in the urine and sometimes infections.

The pain associated with a stone depends on its location and size.

A bladder stone can cause some lower abdominal discomfort if it is associated with an infection.

Based on this background information, I will answer your queries one by one:

1) A stone in the bladder cannot be the cause of nerve irritation. Like I said the stone may cause some abdominal or groin pain but certainly it will not be the cause of tingling in the lower limbs.

2) Can you have a stone for two years? Well its hard to say how long its been there. The size is not too big; so I suspect its been there only for a short time say a few months.

3) Is the damage permanent? I don't think so. As I said this stone is not the cause of your neurological symptoms.

What should be your next course of action?

1) For the bladder stone: It is unlikely to come out on its own. So its worthwhile getting a cystoscopy done to see if your doctor can extract it. To prevent new stones from forming drink lots of fluids.

2) For the enlarged prostate: I would recommend doing a PSA level in the blood. I would also recommend the use of medications like tamsulosin, which will help you empty the bladder completely, under the supervision of the urologist.

3) For the peripheral neuropathy: See a neurologist to determine the cause and treatment.

I hope this was helpful
I will be happy to provide more answers to any other questions which you may have.

Dr. Aditya Bhabhe