Can birth control pills effect hormonal changes like breast development?

HI, when I was young I use to fake stomach ache so I won't have to school, my mother use to lie and give her birth control pill telling me that it's for stomach aches and now I'm 21 years about 235 pounds and I have man boobs, did those screw my hormones?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Development of male breasts is known as Gynaecomastia. It usually occurs due to hormonal changes at puberty. Other than that, it can be due to illicit drug use, medication effect and rarely tumor. Definitely, consumption of birth control pill has an effect on development of breasts.

In this, the estrogen and testosterone ratio is altered so if you have been taking the pills frequently as a teenager, then it might be a reason of breast development.

Also, if according to your height you are overweight it makes the breasts look bigger. You can go for weight reduction program and specific exercises as "Interval training" and "bent knee pushups" for chest which would help in shaping the body and chest region.

If along with this there are other symptoms as pain, tenderness then consider visiting a Physician for evaluation to rule out any underlying cause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Can birth control pills effect hormonal changes like breast development? 51 minutes later
I believe I have taken that pill about 10 times if not less will still effect my hormones?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 15 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

It might be possible that the pill would have raised the hormonal levels. It also depends on the composition of the pill as highdose and estrogen containing pill would have more effect on the hormones.

You can get a hormonal Analysis done to check the levels presently.

Wishing you Good health!