Can birth control pills cause depression leading to marital problems?

Hi my wife and I have been having marital problems since the birth of our second child. At first I thought it was my behavior but now that I have controlled my depression she is still cold towards me. Could it be her birth control. She really changed after she switched about 11 weeks ago. She now wants a divorce and says its been 3 years that we've had problems. I am more in tune with her and the kids then ever before yet she continues to pull away and refuses to seek counselling.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

Birth control pills are hormonal contraception and any hormonal imbalance in the body may sometimes have side effects.Mood swings are sometimes seen in certain individuals due to oc pills.There may be some changes but it usually wears off within a few weeks of use of the pills after the sudden hormonal changes stabilize.

However,I cannot tell you that your marital problems are due to the birth control pills.If there is a problem due to the pills then the medication should be stopped or changed but that is a long shot.You need to talk with her and figure out exactly what she is feeling.
Communication is the key here.

Follow-up: Can birth control pills cause depression leading to marital problems? 3 hours later
Our son is 7 1/2 months old is it possible it is some sort of postpartum depression? She also went back to work after being laid off for 1 1/2 years soon after we had him. I know that all these factors hurt me and increased my depression. Is it possible that she isn't dealing with it properly?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for your follow up.

Well post partum depression usually presents with other symptoms and signs like lethargy,loss of appetite,lack of bonding with the baby along with the obvious depression.If that was the cause,she would have been more inclined to stay home and in a known routine instead of going back to work.
Whether she is dealing with your depression in a negative way is something that only she can tell you.You need to get counseling and find a way to address your problems with her directly.