Can benign positional vertigo make me feel sick?

29 year old female, 5'5'', 123 lbs.. have had my gallbladder removed 10 months ago. Been dizzy/light headed, nausea on and off, headaches, acid reflux, really tired (all these symptoms over 2 years) last couple months achy arms and legs. Numerous tests done, ENT and neuro. doc think its Benign Positional Vertigo but I don't think so due to all the other symptoms. In January went through a several week period were I was lethargic and had low bp, also diagnosed with vasovagal syncope due to tilt table test. Was told to increase intake of salt and fluids. Had elevated calcium in one blood work up so far. Besides the above symptoms, the last month get really thirsty and urinate frequently and sometimes this gets horrible along with the lethargy and light headedness. Also have had some right flank pain and a kidney ultrasound showed fullness in the right kidney. Have an appointment with a urologist next week, but the doc. is thinking this is congenital. Thought the symptoms were gallbladder related, but I guess not. I myself know something is wrong because have spent the most of the last 2 years feeling sick.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

Acid reflux, nausea and feeling tired can be due to gall bladder disease but dizziness, headaches, feeling tired, feeling thirsty and increased frequency of urination can be unrelated to it.

Some of the possibilities which can cause these symptoms are :

1)     Thyroid causes like hypothyroidism
2)     Diabetes mellitus
3)     Anemia
4)     Inflammation of the kidneys (causes increased frequency of urination and hence excessive thirst and dizziness due to loss of water)
5)     Ear infections and other causes like Meniere‚Äôs disease or inner ear diseases
6)     Cervical causes like cervical spondolysis

You should get your thyroid profile, complete blood count, fasting blood sugar levels/ HBA1c, kidney function tests and CT head and MRI along with a through ENT examination done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Also please get back with these reports so that it can help me in understanding your condition better.

Follow-up: Can benign positional vertigo make me feel sick? 20 days later
I had a CT Scan and 2 MRI's done last year, both came back fine.. well, actually the first MRI had something unclear behind one of my sinus cavities, so that's why had a second one done, but it turned out fine. The only thing that showed up on my CT Scan was retention cysts in my sinuses behind my checks. I guess these might be from a previous sinus infection or from my sinus surgery, and the doctor said they are no cause for concern. I have had (numerous CBC) blood work done, it usually comes back fine. Had my liver count show up off, but had a liver ultrasound and it was fine. The only other thing that showed up was an elevated calcium level, which I had repeat blood work for my parathyroid function, and that function came back fine. During this ultrasound, they saw fullness in the right kidney. I had a kidney ultrasound done. So, saw a urologist and he said my kidney is fine, to maybe do a repeat ultrasound in one year to see if anything changes. I did have blood work done (I believe I had TSH) for my thyroid on 2 different occasions and it came back fine also. Now is a thyroid profile the same as the TSH? Or should I get a more thorough test?
Also, when i first saw an ENT, all they did was give me an audiology test to see if maybe i had fluid in my ears, and that came back fine. Then the ENT had me go to vestibular therapy, and i saw no difference and the therapist couldn't figure out for sure if my dizziness was due to BPV. When I went back to the ENT, basically just threw his hands up in the air and said it's not a Ear, Throat, Nose problem. So I am assuming to get a second opinion.
One more question, I would like to know your opinion about going to see a Dr. Serpe, DC, who is not a medical doctor, but a chiropractor. I guess his whole thing is about functional neurological rehab and biomedical nutrition. I stumbled across the website ( WWW.WWWW.WW researching vertigo/dizziness. I seem skeptical, but at this point willing to try anything.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I can understand your concern because you are having the symptoms and most of the lab tests and imaging studies have come out normal.

One thing which still needs to be explored is cervical spondolysis and for this a CT scan or MRI of the upper spine should be done. Did your MRI's include MRI of the spine as well.

It is important to correct any posture imbalances that you may have, whether in a sitting posture or in a standing posture. It is also very important to make sure that the pillow you use under your head is the correct size and thickness for your body.

Avoid stretching of shoulders, lifting any heavy weights and add diets XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamins especially vitamin B 12 to daily routine. More severe cases may need steroid injections if cervical spondolysis is explored.

Regarding the TSH levels, it is considered a marker of thyroid disease and if the levels are deranged then we can get serum T3 AND T4 levels done.

You can consult a chiropractor but make sure that whatever is done is brought to the notice of your doctor and he is kept well informed about it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.