Can being on an antibiotic cause groin pain?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

There are certain antibiotics which can cause such pain in male. The pain there is related to testicles. However in females, there is no reported side effects such as groin pain. You should try to find another cause of this. Urinary infection (UTI), inguinal hernia or groin muscles pulling are few other conditions that should be considered.

So I suggest you to do urine analysis, urine culture and ultrasound to rule all these out.

If you are taking antibiotics for UTI, I suggest to wait till therapy is over and then do those tests.

Considering that you have UTI for such long time you should do more detailed tests of urogenital tract (intravenous urography, kidney CT) or take i.v. antibiotics after the isolation of exact bacterial type. Estrogen supplement therapy can be helpful too.

Hope this answers your question. I'll be glad to clarify if you have any questions.

Wish you good health.