Can beet root juice with pomegranate be give to 6.5 months old baby?

Feb 2013

My Niece is of 6.5 months old. is it safe to give her juice of beetroot mixed with pomegranate. Is this juice safe? Want some advice from pediatrician.In other side, what are the foods my niece can take for safer health?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 hours later
Brief Answer: safe in small quantities after steaming. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Beetroot contains high amounts of nitrates which is difficult for babies to digest. So it is better to introduce beetroot at a later age group. And introducing beets first may not be a good idea because beets contain an earthy flavour. The child might not like the flavour. Hence start with other vegetables such as carrots. If you want to give beetroot juice, steam beets for few minutes before making the juice. Steaming will reduce the amount of nitrates. And the juice quantity should be limited to 1 to 2 teaspoons in a day. And introduce the juice in a very small quantity first and observe for any allergic issues and if there is no problem, it can be increased gradually in quantity over few days. Introduce one type of food at a time with small quantity and wait for few days to start another variety of feed in similar fashion. Don't give two new food varieties at a time and dont mix beetroot juice with pomegranate juice as it will be difficult to understand to which variety the child will have allergic reaction. Child can be given cooked and mashed vegetables like carrots, potatoes, and other vegetables. Rice based infant semi solid food is the best food to introduce as it is easily digestible and have no allergic reactions. And breastfeeding to be continued till the age of 2 years. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow-up: Can beet root juice with pomegranate be give to 6.5 months old baby? 20 minutes later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX Your answer is very clear and thanks a lot. Regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you very much for your kind appreciation. I wish you and your family a great health. Best regards.