Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection?

Question
Was told to do baking soda baths but scared to because can't this alter vaginal ph and cause an infection?
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 minutes later

Soda bath usually with Epsom salt and baking soda neutralizes acids and promotes the elimination of toxins.This provides benefits against skin conditions like dry skin, eczema etc.

Even when soda bath is advised as a direct vaginal wash it does not cause any problem.Though it alters the Ph in the vagina its effect does not last long.The cervical and vaginal glands secretions would wash out the base and the acidity of the vagina is regained within few hours.Infections are seen commonly in people with low vaginal secretions which would be the cause for increase in Ph.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 11 minutes later
Ok so using like prolong use of spermicides would cause a decrease in vaginal secretions and could cause infection is that what your saying? I order something called immune balance it's like a natural immnune booster, have you heard of this? Supposedly its suppose to clear up infection within the body if you have any are you famaliar with this? So if I had used a lot of monistat and vaginal moisturizers which burned on contact when I used them but I kept using them cause I thought that meant they were working could that have burned me vaginally like inside and if so could it last for months? And cause me to feel like I have to pee all the time? I ask this cause I have been checked for uti infections numerous times and always test negative std infections uti and all so could it stem back to all the chemicals I used? And is just not healing and if so what do I use that won't burn more but can process healing. I know that's a lot of questions but please try to answer all.
I just feel that by using the monistat even when I didn't necessary have a yeast infection at the time that I gave myself some type of resistant yeast infection but I had a DNA probe swab thingy done for bacteria and yeast an no yeast grew so is it safe to say that it's more less dermatitis or could resistant yeast still be a possibility? This has been going on for 7 months now can a dermatitis last that long?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I shall address your questions sequentially.

Spermicides are not known to cause decreased vaginal secretions, I do not consider them being the cause of your problem.

Yes, I have heard of Immune Booster you mention, the success of it is always doubted.There is no harm in using it but the results are not much convincing.

Yes, the prolonged use of Monistat could be the cause of your worries.Not the actual medication but the supporting base in the Monistat can sometime cause reactions in the vaginal mucosa who's effect can linger around for months.The urge for urination could be due to constant irritation in the inflamed vaginal mucosa.

Do not use any medications , this symptom would last on its own over time.Usage of any chemicals any more can worsen the condition.If there is no any foul smelling discharge then the chances of infection are less, but your prone for one as the vaginal mucosa is out of health due to chemical irritation.Do continue the immune booster , avoid any chemicals here after and maintain strict hygiene in there, to prevent infections.

Hope I answered your doubts.

Wish you speedy recovery.

regards,

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 17 minutes later
So you don't think I have any resistant yeast due to all the monistat? And what can I do to restore the vaginal mucous? And how can I decrease the inflammation, will the baking soda bath help and if so how long should i do it? And what else will help? I take a pro b probiotic made by refresh. But what can I do to restore the vaginal lining? When will it go away. I have burned for so long how would I tell if I had a new infection since I constantly burn anyways?
Maintain strict hygiene in there? What exactly do ya mean I guess is what I'm asking. Your quick at answering I really appreciate it. Oh and this has been going on for almost 7 months but I did use a lot of monistat and vaginal moisturizers over time and I notice each time I would use them they would burn horribly so bad I just wanted to rinse with water I thought it was because I had infection or something so this could last for 7 months? How can I heal this I would give anything to be bak to normal
Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 7 minutes later

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 minutes later

No, I do not think the problems you have is due to resistant strain of yeast.

Do take Multivitamin supplements on daily basis for a month, this will help in restoring vaginal health back.

Do not use any chemicals or soda bath, these may further irritate the vaginal mucosa.

You can continue to to take Probiotics.They do help in maintaining good health in mucous membranes.

Maintaining good hygiene meant about not using regular tap water for vaginal wash, Unsterile pads, scratching with finger nails , etc all these can incorporate infection into the vunerable vaginal mucosa.

Do not rinse with water,Daily Multivitamins would suffice and help to maintain health in mucous membranes.

Wish you good health.

Oh ok well what kinda water do I clean with then? And I need to purchase a daily multivitamin along with the probiotic? So don't use any kind of lubricating agent like coconut oil internally to help with dryness, just multivitamins?
Oh and what type of multivitamin do you recommend?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 28 minutes later

Use antiseptic solutions like Savlon or any other cetrimide solutions into the water used for washing.

Multivitamin ones specially containing Vit A and Vit E are useful.

Do not use anything like lubricants , oils or any other creams.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 5 hours later
Ok great ibthink maybe this has been the issue the whole time. I haven't been using anything to wash with just warm water will the be ok? How long will this last if I start taking the vitamins? Should I go back to completely normal? I appreciate your help so much!!!

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Warm water with antiseptic in it would be the best.

It would take a month or two to regain complete health and prevent future problems too.

Yes, you would become completely normal on taking Multivitamins.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 3 hours later
I don't know If I mentioned not only do I have increased urination but I also still vaginal burning so I could still be burning from all the chemicals as the burning is what makes me think yeast?!!
One more question and I will leave ya alone. Is is possible for me to have a lactobillus overgrowth or desqamative vaginitis which what I understand is an inflammation of the vagina? Could either one of these be causing my problems? Please answer the last few questions and I will try to not ask you anymore!

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 hours later

I apologize for the delay.

I am here to answer you, I am happy to answer , no matter how many.

yes, the urination urge and burning sensation in the vagina are typically seen in vaginits.The chemicals may not be still present in the vagina , the mucosal erosions caused by the chemicals could be irritated by the acidic secretions continuously.

Desquamative vaginitis is what I am considering to be problem in you , such vaginitis has numerous causes , in you it may be over use of medications.Over growth of lactobacillus though causes similar problems I do not consider that to be the condition in you.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 3 minutes later
So how do I fix desqamative vaginitis if that's the case?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 minutes later

Multivitamins are the best medication for such mucosal erosions.

Multivitamins carry out many metabolic reactions involved in production of human tissue , hence repair the mucosa.

Do take them for at-least a month to see the difference.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 36 minutes later
Oh ok I got ya. I have been taking lyrica for two days now and have noticed a difference in the burning which is very severe right behind the pubic bone how could this be? But I will for sure do the multi vitamins!!

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later

Lyrica (pregabalin) is a medication used in neuropathy .This helps in regeneration nerve axons and help in the conduction of impulse.This do not have any side effects related to mucosal health.

Need not worry, continue Lyrica (pregabalin) as advised by your doctor for whatever the indication is.

Do take multivitamin this helps in regeneration of mucosa and to some extent nerves too.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 7 hours later
Ok this is my last question I promise and I will leave you alone if I had some type of vaginal infection that was being missed could the lyrica just be masking the symptoms such as the burning? I have read that infections can affect the nerves down there, is it possible that I could have an infection as well and the lyrica just masking my burning symptoms? Last question I promise, sorry for so many but I have been going through pure you know what for some time now and I wanna cover all bases!!! The lyrica does seem to be helping somewhat!

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

No, Lyrica helps in regeneration and good impulse conduction in the nerves.There is no chance where it masks the nerve conduction in an infection.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 36 hours later
Ok thank you soooo much, i feel somewhat better! I just don't understand, I was burning like crazy feeling like I had to pee every twenty minutes started taking the lyrica and all of it simers down, does that make sense? What could be the reason for this? I'm happy that something controls the pain but at same time I'm very confused? Like what the crap is going on with my body?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Lyrica does not have any effect on your condition.It just treats damaged nerves.If the mucosal erosion due to chemical irritation has resulted in damaging superficial nerves then Lyrica may be involved in regeneration of the same.

There is nothing to worry about.Its just the irritation in the vaginal mucosa what is causing problems in you.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 12 hours later
Ok so I got women's one a day complete women's multivitamin plus healthy skin support with floraglo lutein is that a good multivitamin?
Oh and wouldn't all these doctors that have examined me an did pap smears and swabs have been able to catch this chemical irritation???

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, you can take the above mentioned multivitamin.

No,Pap smear may show sings of mild inflammation .Most of times it is inconclusive and do not help to diagnose.A detailed history and the symptoms are ones which help to arrive at the possibility.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 6 hours later
Ok thank you so much!!!!

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
You are welcome,

Wish you speedy recovery.

Quick question im fixing to go back to doctor for a follow up, would estrogen cream or a type of calming cream help this?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Yes, Estrogen cream can help, but it is mainly used in older women with senile vaginitis.

I am sorry I do not know the type of calming cream you mentioned about.

Follow-up: Can baking soda baths alter vaginal pH and cause an infection? 21 hours later
So I have been reading and desqamative vaginitis is a form of lichen planus in which almost always requires a type of cream to clear is this true or will the multivitamins do the job without the cream?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Most of the desquamative vaginitis are as a result of low estrogen levels, which is well treated by estrogen creams.

Multivitamins help in regaining lost superficial layers in the mucosa due to irritation by medications or due to any mechanical trauma.