Ask a Dentist   »  

Can bad breath be caused by worm infestation. Taken zentel. Bad breath persists

Hi!!!!..Is there possibility of bad breathe due to worms in stomach.. Because my friend have bad breath problem and worm bite.. He brushes his teeth thrice a day.. He took Zentel tablet for worm bite once and surprisingly bad breath was not there for 2 months and once again he is facing the same problem..
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 58 minutes later

The most common areas for bad breath are

1. Tongue which is a medium for various bacterial growth
2. Nostrils
3. Gum diseases like gingivitis
4. Esophagus
5. Stomach is not a common area to cause bad breath because the stomach has something called as lower esophageal sphincter which will prevent bad odor from coming to the mouth and more over worms are present mostly in the intestines and not in the stomach as the stomach is too acidic for survival for the worms.

So it is least likely that your friend was treated of halitosis (bad breath) by taking albendazole (zentel). There must be some other contributing factors for the bad breath.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Can bad breath be caused by worm infestation. Taken zentel. Bad breath persists 35 minutes later
okay is there a possibility of bad breathe due to worms in intestine? The reason why I am asking is because every time he takes Zentel he doesn't have bad breath.. Is it advisable to take Zentel tablet twice in a month??
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later

Thanks for replying

Giardiasis is one such intestinal infection which gets cured with albendazole (zentel) which also causes egg smelling bad breath but they will also have other symptoms like diarrhea, fatigue, malaise, etc.
There is no harm in taking zentel twice a month if he is getting relieved of symptoms, but please XXXXXXX your physician before doing so for a prescription. Do not consider this my prescription to you.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish you good health