Can ayurvedic medicine help me to quit drinking, smoking or any other drug addiction?

Dec 2014

hello, my name is XXXXXXX I have a query regarding an ayurvedic product- Zero addiction, which guarantees that within 45 days a person can leave the habit of drinking, smoking or any other drugs... I have seen reviews as well many of them said- it works...
I wanted to know wether it will be beneficial for a person who's age is above 55yrs and who is diabetic as well but have addiction to smoking..??? please help me out on this....
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 21 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic.

Zero addiction is a product that is heavily marketed and advertised on television these days. It is an ayurvedic product. It sold by companies with guarantee. There are a lot of reviews present about this product. The results are subjective. So far I didn't get any good study or research which claim the benefit of this product. There is a protocol before launch of any drug, it has to pass clinical trials on animals, then under controlled conditions and then finally on general population. Once in final trial if a drug gives positive results and acceptable side effects, then it is launched in general population. But I failed to find any studies or trial about this drug. Use in diabetes is also unpredictable. Still choice is on you.

There are many methods by which one can quit smoking-
- First and foremost thing to quit smoking to have enough motivation to quit. One has to be strong enough to stick on his/her decision

- Smoking contains Nicotine. Nicotine is a highly addictive substance. So when an individual quit smoking, withdrawal symptoms of nicotine occurs. In order to prevent withdrawal symptoms individual start to take smoke again. To prevent withdrawal and sustain abstinence Nicotine Gums are available like Nicorex. These are to be chewed whenever craving for smoking occurs.

- Buspirone is a drug that has been reported in studies to have promising results in smoking addiction. It is used by a lot of psychiatrist for smoking cessation programs. It is a medicine with very less side effect.

- A newer medicine Verenecline is a nicotine receptor agonist. It has been studied extensively and has good results in smoking cessation. It reduces craving. It is available in name of Champix in markets.

- Behavioral Therapies to maintain cessation are must. Yoga, relaxation exercises, XXXXXXX breathing exercises are very useful to sustain cessation.
So visit a good psychiatrist for expert opinion, these medicines have very good results.

Hope I cleared your doubt. If you are satisfied with conversation kindly review. If you have some more doubts you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)