Can ayurvedic medicine cure my baby's biliary atresia?

My baby boy ( born on 16th Nov 10) was diagnosed with biliary atresia when he was close to 2 month 20 days old. Kasai surgery was done on 14th Feb 11 just before he turned 3 months old. After the surgery he started passing yellow stool unlike clay coloured ones prior to surgery. His jaundice is however still high. Last month, he got an attack of cholangitis and had to be hospitalised and put on IV antibiotics. Currently he is suffering from low grade fever on a daily basis, loss of appetite, jaundice, prominent abdominal veins, dark yellow urine, and lack of sleep. He is irritable most of the times with crying spells.
Medically he has been advised liver transplant as his liver is hard and cirrhotic now. Present medicines - Tab Udiliv, TAXIM O syrup and vitamin supplements. He has be given paracetamol daily to relieve him of his fever.
I want to know if Ayurveda can help better his condition at this stage?
If yes, can administering of Ayurvedic medicnes rule out the option of liver transplant?
What are the medicines and their dosage and duration to start with?
Does Ayurveda work simultaneously with Allopathy?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 25 minutes later
Dear friend,

Thanks for your query,

Here are the answers.

== No, Biliry atresia is a structural abnormality which can hardly be managed by medication and much far from possible by ayurveda.Surgery is the mainstay here but ayurveda and allopathic medications can be sometimes administered in such cases to halt or lessen the damage or the secondary effects of the abnormality the kid has.

If yes, can administering of Ayurvedic medicines rule out the option of liver transplant?
== The condition needs to be reassessed depending on the child's liver function tests and feasibility of transplant. If it is just colangitis ( infection of the bile ducts ) and minimal cirrhosis, it is likely to regenerate to normal with medications even with ayurvedic ones. If there is surgical failure or bile tract closure, it needs to be reassessed first.

=== Don't fall prey to false claims when there is no sound evidence.

Time is most crucial. Apart from all this baby will need vitamin K along with multivitamin and hepatoprotective drugs he is on.

I appreciate your efforts of getting operated early, but don't leave hopes too soon though cirrhosis is irreversible in late stages.

Wishing you best and a good health to your kid, do report me the follow up or any further queries.