Can anxiety cause sinus headache, weird sensations on the back of skull and behind ear?

Psychiatrist
Question
Can anxiety create weird sensations on the back of the skull and on the bones behind the ear. I am very paranoid and worry. Yesterday I did have what felt like sinus headaches as I suffer from allergies this time of year.

I am constantly poking at the back of my head and bod by ears so can that just make it worse.

Also my neck muscle on my right side feel stiff

Also it comes and goes away , especially shows when I'm anxious.

But my sinus headache was there all day afternoon after I spent the whole day outside and did not take any prevention

Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 32 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome to health care magic and thanks for your query.

I can understand what you are going through and I appreciate your effort to seek online support.

You are experiencing -

1) Weird sensations on back of head and behind the ears
2) Sinus headaches
3) Neck muscle stiffness on right side

Following possibilities are there-
1) Anxiety disorder
2) Somatoform disorder

Anxiety can present as somatic (bodily) features like pain in various parts of body, headache etc. So it is quite possible that anxiety is causing your symptoms as these symptoms comes off and on.

These symptoms can also occur in Somatoform disorders.

However, i advise you to consult a general practitioner first to rule out any other medical illness. You might need some basic investigations and clinical examination.
If everything comes out to be normal, consult a psychiatrist for detailed work up.
Following treatment strategies would be helpful-

1) Anti-anxiety agents like SSRIs (Paroxetine, sertraline, escitalopram etc) and Benzodiazepines like alprazolam, lorazepam, clonazepam etc
2) Psychotherapy/ counselling sessions
3) Relaxation exercises like progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing, yoga or meditation
4) Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, smoking etc as these can worsen your symptoms.

Don't worry and relax. You will be alright after treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and leave a review. Wish you good health.

Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Can anxiety cause sinus headache, weird sensations on the back of skull and behind ear? 3 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply. just went to a walk in center and saw nurse and she said i have build up of wax in my ear and here in the uk we have high pollen count, so all my sinus are acting up. thank you so much for your reply

Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 23 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thats ok, welcome.

Wish you good health.

You can close the discussion, rate the answer and leave a review.

Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist