Can anxiety and chronic stress cause symptoms that mimic hypoglycemia?

Could anxiety/chronic stress alone cause symptoms that mimic hypoglycemia? I have had so many health issues for the past year... started with a virus in April and ever since then I have had a lot of nausea and lightheadedness, it was so bad for a while I pretty much stayed in bed all the time. I was waking up and vomiting most mornings over the summer but that tapered off and hasn't happened since late September, but I still get nauseous frequently. The lightheadedness is mainly when I need to eat,and I feel like that every two hours at least, and sometimes I get really lightheaded and tired after I eat. But if I go too long without food I feel like I'm going to pass out and get shaky like someone with hypoglycemia. Is there any way anxiety can cause this? it seems to be getting worse, every time I check my blood sugar it's normal. my doctor said my blood sugar was slightly low (sometimes it will be around 79-83 an hour and a half or two hours after eating) but it's usually about 100 two hours after eating and I get the symptoms then.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Yes, anxiety associated with stress can cause symptoms that mimic hypoglycemia.

Blood sugar levels you are reporting are unlikely to cause such symptoms.

We will also have to rule out other physical disorders before blaming anxiety as being responsible for your problems.

A complete physical examination including blood pressure recording by your doctor and investigations including Hb%, Liver function tests, ECG, Thyroid profile, etc may help in arriving at a diagnosis.

Anxiety associated with conditions like depression, etc require specific treatment by psychiatrist along with life style modifications. (Meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, playing with kids, walking, praying God etc)

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Can anxiety and chronic stress cause symptoms that mimic hypoglycemia? 27 minutes later
Okay, thank you. I believe I have had all those things ruled out. I was borderline hyperthyroid for a short time but it seems to be more normal now. Could the hypoglycemia-like symptoms caused by anxiety be chronic even if when not feeling anxious?
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 17 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

You may not be feeling overtly feeling anxious at a particular time but anxiety can be associated with such chronic symptoms.

So if other diagnosis are ruled out I request you to consult a psychiatrist for further management.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Can anxiety and chronic stress cause symptoms that mimic hypoglycemia? 15 hours later
Thank you. I was also wondering if gluten intolerance could cause these symptoms, because some people have told me gluten can prevent you from absorbing food and cause constant hunger if you are intolerant.
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, gluten intolerance can present in wide variety of presentations. Stopping wheat, rye, barely in the diet will cause symptomatic improvement. Blood tests help in the diagnosis but the gold standard for confirmation is a duodenal biopsy.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.