Can antibiotics cause gastritis?

Question
can antibiotics cause gastritis? I am currently taking a course of antibiotics and iam experiencing stomach discomfort. Please advise.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 days later
Brief Answer: Yes, it can cause... Detailed Answer: Hi, Gastritis is a common side effect of most antibiotic. If you have an upper abdominal pain / under the ribs pain, this pain may have been induced gastritis. You can use antacids along with proton pump inhibitors to combat this side effect. Personally I do not recommend you to stop antibiotic unless you have history of ulcers in the past. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 8 hours later
so can antibiotics cause a stomach ulcer also ?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Not directly... Detailed Answer: Hi, Gastric ulcer is a gradual occurrence. Prolonged gastric erosion lead to ulcer formation. Therefore we can suspect ulcers of there is previous history of ulcers or erosion, but if a patient has no previous gastric issues ulcer from antibiotic is less likely. Hope this answers your question. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 10 minutes later
can long term antibiotics cause stomach ulcers?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This thought is not convincing... Detailed Answer: I will answer this question in this way : 1. Antibiotic is rarely used long term. Only few chronic infective conditions need long term antibiotics. 2. Stomach ulcer usually follows previous gastritis and erosion. Therefore very unlikely that antibiotic is directly responsible for gastric ulcers. Hope this answers your query. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 1 hour later
hi iam on a six week antibiotics courses for chronic prostatitis. then I need to take 1 100mg tablet of antibiotics daily for six months. can this cause ulcer?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Not directly.... Detailed Answer: Gastric ulcer is a different entity. It is not same as gastritis. I can only say that antibiotic therapy can induce gastritis. We can confirm the presence of ulcer only through endoscopic examination. If you suspect presence of ulcer, it is beneficial to get the Upper GI endoscopy (gastroscopy) done. Your doctor will then carefully monitor antibiotic treatment. Hope this helps. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 2 hours later
how is prostatic massage done? can it cure prostatitis?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Best to learn from an urologist... Detailed Answer: Prostate massage is done as a part of per rectal examination. It is done routinely by urosurgeon at their clinic. Since I do not routinely practice prostate massage, I would not be the best person to describe how it should be done. You can learn this technique from an urosurgeon or a general surgeon who routinely perform this procedure. It definitely has an important role in treating prostatitis. However when performed by untrained expert, it can harm you. Therefore learn the proper technique through an urosurgeon. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 4 minutes later
does prostatic massage require a general anaesthetic?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: No... Local anaesthesia will do... Detailed Answer: It doesn't need general anesthesia. They would use local anesthetic gels such as lignocaine gel during the procedure. Regards

I have chronic bacterial prostatitis. how common is this disease and what is thr prognosis?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urosurgeon would be able to answer this question.. Detailed Answer: Hi, I think an experienced urosurgeon would be the apt person to describe and explain about chronic bacterial prostatitis especially with regards to how common it is and its prognosis. I wouldn't be able to justify my answer on this topic. You can ask this query to experienced urosurgeon on XXXXXXX Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 9 minutes later
ok also can chronic bacterial prostatitis kill the patient? and also does epididymitis always require treatment or will the infection gp away itself?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: It needs treatment... Detailed Answer: I haven't heard of patient dying from chronic bacterial prostatitis. But if left untreated, it may cause significant morbitidy. Pain / discomfort and sexual/fertility issues may arise. As far as epididymitis is concerned, acute infection caused by virus may resolve spontaneously. Other infections will need to be treated. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 12 minutes later
do you know why epididymitis may keep on recurring? as I have this problem?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sexual activity... Detailed Answer: You might get this infection from sexual activity. If your partner harbor infection sub-clinically, it can be transmitted to you. Therefore it is essential that your partner is also tested and treated. Off course this applies only if you are sexually active. Besides this, chronic prostatitis and urinary tract infection can spill over to epididymis. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 7 minutes later
hi dr XXXXXXX my problem is I have got chronic prostatitis. how many days does it take for the infection to arrive to the epididymis? also if I ejaculate am I bringing the infection back into the epididymis? please advise m I normally ejaculate twice per week. is this ample?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: It occurs only in retrograde transmission... Detailed Answer: Let me clarify... Prostate secretions move forward through the urethra to be ejaculated along with sperms as semen. Only those individual who experience retrograde ejaculation prostate infection and urine infection gets spilled over to the epididymis. Therefore all chronic prostate infection do not lead to epididymitis. Moreover there is no clear cut statistical data that has documented how soon will the infection arrive at the epididymis in a person with chronic prostatis. As described above you would naturally bring the prostate secretions out, not to the epididymis. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 5 hours later
hi dr. lohit so what is stored in my epididymis? is it the sperms? am I right in saying during ejaculation the sperms get expelled out together with the fluid comming from the prostate to form the semen ?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Sperms is store in the epididymis... Detailed Answer: I am not sure if you meant this question to me or Dr. Lohit. Anyway I shall answer it. Sperms are stored in the epididymis. It is pushed by peristaltic movements through vas deferens mixed with prostatic secretions and released via urethra as semen. You might look at google images and understand male reproductory structures. If all your questions are answered, please close this discussion. Regards

so the prostate fluid which forms the semen will never be stored in the epididymis ? so prostate infection should not really reach the epididymis unless there is retrograde ejaculation? also can chronic prostatitis be cured?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chronic prostatitis can be controlled or treated.. Detailed Answer: Whether or not chronic prostatitis can be cured completely is difficult to answer. I can tell you that there are ways to keep this condition in control and remission. Your treating doctor would be the apt person to tell if you are going to be cured. I have already answered your first question in my previous replies. Movements of sperms in one way. Retrograde movements occur in relatively fewer set of men. Regards

please could you tell me how to keep this condition in remission status?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment should be individualized... Detailed Answer: As a physician who is unable to examine you, my scope is limited in treating you. The best solution to your problem would be provided by a doctor who has examined and closely worked with you. Discuss with him/her about what has caused this chronic prostatitis. The cause may be unknown or may be related to few factors. The right set of treatment - long duration antibiotics, drugs that eases prostate congestion and improves urine flow, non therapeutic stress management techniques and so on - should be formed accordingly. I don't think I will be able to add any more value to this answer with respect to chronic prostatitis. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 12 hours later
I have chronic epididymitis. is chronic epididymitis caused by bacterial infection?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later
Brief Answer: may cause chronic epididymitis... Detailed Answer: Infections may cause chronic epididymitis. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 52 minutes later
why does chronic epididymitis not clear up then?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Microscopic changes.... Detailed Answer: It would be hard to explain the microscopic changes that make it chronic inflammatory conditions hard to resolve. Discuss with your doctor about the probable cause (if any) with your doctor and the measures that could be taken to treat it. Regards

why would my epididymis hurt after ejaculation?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need to ask if this pain is from epididymis... Detailed Answer: Epididymis is a small sac in your scrotum that stores sperms. I am not sure one can be able to differentiate pain arising from epididymis symptomatically. You need to ask your doctor if the pain is from epididymis or from other structures. Moreover without having to examine you, I wouldn't be able to predict the cause or treatment of testicular pain and sexual problems. Regards

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 26 minutes later
can an epididymis infection destroy the nerve endings around the epididymis? If so can this ever be healed free from pain?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 29 hours later
Brief Answer: No permanent damages... Detailed Answer: Pain from epididymis is due to inflammatory changes. It doesn't destroy nerve endings. Regards

can non infection also cause inflammatory changes?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 39 hours later
Brief Answer: yes... Detailed Answer: The condition is most often caused following an infection, however a few non infective condition can also lead to chronic epididymitis. You can learn about those conditions and how often they occur from an urosurgeon. Regards

can turmeric capsule daily reduce inflammation of the epididymitis?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Unknown... Detailed Answer: Potential of turmeric capsule to treat chronic inflammation of epididymis is not known. However there is no harm in trying those herbs. Regards

how often do you recommend ejaculation for people with epididymitis in a week?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unaware if frequent ejaculation helps... Detailed Answer: I am unaware if frequent ejaculation has protective role in treating epididymitis. You can discuss with an urologist.

Follow-up: Can antibiotics cause gastritis? 29 minutes later
what type of vegetables can you recommend for eating id you have epididymitis?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Colourful vegetables... Detailed Answer: Hi, I would add colourful and unprocessed vegetables - beets, legumes, yams, carrot, pepper, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, organic tomato and so on. In addition diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids like almonds, nuts, flax seeds and sea food are healthy. You will also need fruits that are rich in antioxidants like XXXXXXX pear, lemon, berries, cherry, grapefruits and so on. Cranberry is specially known to be very helpful in treating urinary tract infection. It may have some importance in treating epididymitis too. Regards