Can angina cause arm pain without any other symptoms?

Cardiologist
Question
Good morning Can angina cause just left arm pain without any other symptoms ? I am 35 years always worry about my heart health , i have a slight hight cholesterol but it became normal with Lipitor 10 (statin) , i did last December a lot of tests (EKG , STRESS TEST , ECKO (EF 58%) , CBC , Lipid profile & all of those tests were normal . I also have been diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia through an endoscopy , & i have Cervical Spondolysis & C5-6 central & right paracentral moderate disc protrusion (MRI) . My main complain is that sometimes when i climb up 9 or 10 floors i feel left arm pain & sometimes feel heat in my left arm , a little ache in my left shoulder without anything in my chest & sometimes but very rare i feel a little chest ache but it is not forcing me to stop . & sometimes i feel nothing of the above . And also sometimes i feel my left arm & shoulder ache if i climbed just 1 floor . My question is can i have angina with only left arm or shoulder ache ? Should i be concerned after all those tests ? The angina pain is easy to recognize it from any other causes that lead to my symptoms ? Shall it force me to stop my exercise ?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Nothing to worry if cardiac tests are normal. Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, it is true that you can have angina with only left arm or shoulder ache. Usually, it is also associated with changes in the cardiac tests. At your case, they resulted normal, so, there is nothing to be worried about. Only the cardiac tests (as you already ran) can help recognize if the symptoms you have are from angina or other causes. They include lack of exercise, being overweight, etc. Normally, an angina ache can force you to stop exercising. While, in your case, I do not see anything to be worried about unless other health problems. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!

Follow-up: Can angina cause arm pain without any other symptoms? 22 minutes later
Does echo can show diagnose angina or just the stress test & EKG ?

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Criteria to properly diagnose angina... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Echo scan can diagnose angina; however, stress test&EKG remain the golden standard of diagnosing angina. Echo scan is important to exclude other cardio-vascular problems including: - stenosis of aorta - pericarditis - myocarditis At the end, please bare in mind that the diagnosis of angina is based on: - clinical symptoms (type and characteristic of the chest pain) - scan examinations (ECHO, stress test, EKG) - cardiac enzymes (CK, CK-MB, Troponin, lipid profile) Hope it answered to your queries! Dr.Benard

Follow-up: Can angina cause arm pain without any other symptoms? 18 hours later
So you mean that because of the above Cardio tests i did became normal so i don't have to give it attention ? So it can be due to my hiatal hernia or myneck problems which i will attach you now the MRI report of it ?

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Get further evaluated for cervical issues... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. As long as cardiac tests resulted normal, there is nothing to be worried about. You can be followed up by neurologist for your neuro cervical problem. All the best! Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can angina cause arm pain without any other symptoms? 2 days later
So now i will rule out the heart problems . But can the cervical problems or as the MRI report attached before cancause this warm feeling or little ache in my left arm & shoulder during exercising ? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Cervical protrusion associated with pain &burning. Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Your MRI reported protrusion and degeneration of cervical c5-c6. Definitely, it will be associated with pain and burning sensation during physical activities due to compression of nearby nerves. All the best! Dr.Albana