Can aneurysm of heart be related to edema of ankles?

I have edema of the ankles and feet badly. The feet are bright red, blotchy and shiny. I have an aneurysm in my heart. Could this be related? Thank You
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 18 minutes later

You have mentioned that you have aneurysm of the heart.

Edema of the ankles and feet can be occur due to many causes. However, in your case, its likely due to the underlying heart condition.

Also, patients who have aneurysm can have embolization of the peripheral vessels, especially the lower limbs which leads to blotchy bright red skin.

So its likely that there is decompensation of your cardiac condition.

If its possible, please mail me the ECHO/angio report of yours such that I can give you a more specific advice including treatment plan.

You can mail me at YYYY@YYYY with subject ATTN: Dr Kiran Kumar

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Can aneurysm of heart be related to edema of ankles? 10 hours later
Dear Dr. Kiran;
Thank you for your information. It is what I suspected too. I am going home to
Maryland for a consultation with a cardio-thoracic surgeon that my cardiologist there referred me too. The edema, red, shiny, blotch XXXXXXX started out as liuttle
red dotes and then speread to the blotchiness. is there the possibility that the aneurysm surgery will be recommended at that time, immediate in nature or can you go for a month or two with this situation. Does this put me at greater risk
foor a possible rupture of the aneurysm, which is located in the Ascending Thoracic Aorta? Are there additional tests to be done prior to surgery for this situation? Thank you for your time and attention.
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

The only possible definitive treatment for Ascending Aortic Aneurysm is surgical correction. The urgency is decided by the extent of the aneurysmal involvement, the size of aneurysm and the heart function.

In all likely hood, you will be advised surgery and its imperative that surgery is done as soon as possible.

You will require a aortic angiogram to clearly delineate the extent of involvement. An MRI scan might also be prescribed.

My best wishes are with you.

Dr Kiran