Can an online doctor explain my Oral Glucose Tolerance Test results?

I have a question about the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. This has been driving me crazy. Please tell me if I'm missing something painfully obvious. Ok so I had the glucose tolerance test done to check for acromegaly and these the results: Baseline GH: 0.2 30 minutes: 0.1 ng/mL 1 Hour: <0.1 ng/mL 1.5 Hours: <0.1 nh/mL 2 Hours <0.1 ng/mL. In the lab report it says: Acromegaly is ruled out if at any point in the timed sequence GH levels are <0.4 ng/mL. Here is where I'm confused. My baseline GH level was already below 0.4 ng/mL. I know my GH did suppress, but I'm worried that what if my GH is partially suppressible and I have acromegaly. I read on the internet that sometimes people suffering with acromegaly have partially suppressable GH, that doesn't suppress below 0.4 ng/mL, but does suppress, just not enough. My IGF-1 is normal at 289 (115-355 ng/mL) by the way. If baseline GH is already below 0.4 ng.mL does that mean that if at that level the GH suppresses at all acromegaly is ruled out(because it is less than 0.4 ng/mL) or does it mean that baseline GH has to be higher than 0.4 ng.mL and then it has to suppress below 0.4 ng/mL to rule out acromegaly? Thank You!!!!!
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Both are true. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You have to understand that Growth hormone measurement by Oral Glucose Tolerance Test is GOLD STANDARD for diagnosis of Acromegaly. Both are true. Your base line value is normal. In Acromegaly, the baseline Growth Hormone level is not this much low. In Acromegaly Also your IGF-1 level is also normal. Thus you do not have Acromegaly. Your base line value is already lower than 0.4 ng/ml. then glucose suppression is not possible as all expect of about 0.4 ng/ml. In normal persons with GH more than 0.4 ng/ml, OGGT will definitely decrease more than 0.4 ng/ml at the end of the test. Thus nothing to worry about the results. If possible repeat the test, if your physician suspects acromegaly. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.