Can an eye infection spread to the private parts?

Question
Hi my partner has had a problem with his right eye for nearly 2 month now hes been to the eye hospital n they gave him drops which dont seem to work he recieved a letter today to say he has to go back and see them and has to go to the GUM clinic, why would he have to go there if he has a problem with his eye and not his private parts?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 3 hours later
Hi Kaza,

You are very right that there can be no relation between eye and private parts. But in certain diseases like SYPHILIS, it can affect any part of the body.
Late stage syphilis can damage many organs if left untreated. The skin, heart, brain, eyes, bones and nervous system can all be affected. This can lead to mental illness, shooting pain, disfiguring skin lesions, loss of vision and heart disease.
Syphilis can occur because of unhealthy sexual habits.
But do not worry. Early syphilis is very easy to treat. Proper Antibiotics help in total cure of the disease.
So ask your partner not to worry and check out at Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) Clinic without any apprehension.

I hope I have satisfied your query. I shall be available for further queries, if needed.

Follow-up: Can an eye infection spread to the private parts? 16 hours later
Thanks for answern, hes found out that its chlamidia he has, when we both get tested is it a tablet we have to take to get rid of it and how long do we have to take the treatment?
Follow-up: Can an eye infection spread to the private parts? 5 hours later
Can you detect how long youve had chlamidia?

Thanks for getting back to me.

No it is very difficult to point out the exact duration of chlamydia infection. But if both of you take proper treatment of an antibiotic, you will be treated in seven days.

Wish you good health.

Can you have sex whilst on the anti biotics?

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 29 hours later
Hi and thanks again.

Yes, you may involve in sexual intercourse.

However it would be a very good idea to avoid sexual contacts untill the diagnosis and treatment is complete. . Otherwise you will again reinfect each other.

Hope that answers your query.

Wish you good health.