Can an embryo have Intrauterine growth restriction at 9 weeks?

May 2013
Can an embryo have IUGR at 9 weeks? If a patient knows she is 9 weeks pregnant based on LMP, pregnancy test and conception, but the ultrasound shows a 6 week embryo with heartbeat of 111. What would be course of action or prognosis?Patient has regular 28 day cycles. This is patient's 4th pregnancy. Other three pregnancies resulted in 3 normal healthy babies.
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 55 minutes later

If she had at-least three previous regular menstrual cycles before conception then the last menstrual period can be taken as reliable.
In the first trimester a disparity of around 1 week can be seen between ultrasound gestational age and gestational age by lmp.
But 3 weeks is something abnormal.
The fetal heart beat is normal for 6 weeks.
Now try to rectify any possible causes for the lag in the growth of the fetus, like:
-Maternal anemia, hypertension, diabetes or any other medical conditions, frequent deliveries etc.
-Intrauterine infection.
-Chromosomal abnormalities etc.

If the possible cause is diagnosed most of them except chromosomal abnormalities are treatable.
So let her:
Improve her nutrition, take plenty of fruits, milk, vegetables, water etc.
Take sufficient rest, 8 hours at nights, 2 hours at afternoon.
Salt restricted diet.

After two weeks let her undergo repeat scan, if the cause of the growth lag is reversible the fetus can pickup growth.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.