Can an electric power plant and a tower near a childrens' school be harmful?

yes please. there is an electrical power plant about 100 mts from my teenage kids, and a tower inside the highschool, it is a small campus. this are their first months there. can this have an effect in their health? (in 1 year or 2?) My kids are a 15 year old girl and a 16 year old guy.

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

From the information you have submitted I am really not concerned that your children are in any danger. your concern is certainly understandable but from what we know at this point extensive studies have been performed which did not show any obvious hazards from living close to a power plant.

You could possibly check with a local environmental agency to see if they have any reports of pollution from the plant itself. Beyond that I see no additional cause for concern.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope my response has provided you with some reassurance. If you have additional concerns regarding this I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Dr Robert
Follow-up: Can an electric power plant and a tower near a childrens' school be harmful? 58 minutes later
Thank you for your answer, my concern is about the electromagnetic field around the electrical tower and the power plant, cause I have read about some studies done about it in Europe and USA, where concern even about the EMF that computers, cel phones, etc can cause on health, and specially in the blood cells, even in later generations. In many countries in Europe, electrical towers are not allowed closer to about 7 kms. from towns, and the wiring is done underground not from post to post, as it is done here in Guatemala.
Best Regards.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 hours later
Hello again and thank you for your follow-up.

They're still has been no long-term studies which have been performed which link it what Trope magnetic radiation from powerlines to any detrimental health syndromes. I realize that there may be some sporadic data which may be suggestive but this data is not statistically significant enough to support changing the way we live.

At this point I am not concerned that electromagnetic radiation will have any type of detrimental effect on your children.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found this To be a productive forUm to discuss your healthcare concerns.

Dr. Robert