Can allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, breathlessness be the symptoms of asthma? Monticop, Nasal Spray can help? Why is it worse in winter?

Hi , I stay at Mumbai.I have allergic rhinits, chronic sinitus and RAD. The allergy test has shown that I Have dust mite allergy . IgE Test results at 340.The PFT test is normal also the doctor says the chest is clear. Currently I am taking MontiCop LC, Nasal spray and Allergy drops. Since last 5 months I am taking this but no improvement . whenever I have allergy attack I suffer with shortness of breath,runny nose ,nasal congestion and restlessness ( Just like panic attack). It happen mostly in the evening or night or in the cold air ( but not in AC) but in day time also in some days. I have observed that the symptoms were worst in winter but still I have above mention problem every day atleast one time . Do I have asthama? Is the medication right or there should be any change? Please help me to overcome this problem.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 17 hours later

On reading your query completely I would want to tell you that this is an allergic condition only, as the history and your test for IgE values also suggest an allergic cause, in an allergic rhinitis , we expect symptoms of runny nose , congestion of nose, difficulty in breathing, wheezing, eye redness/congestion or itchy eyes, throat irritation,etc.

We expect these symptoms time and again if a person is prone for picking up an allergy, he could be allergic to dust, dust mites, pollen, fragrance, perfumes, hay, cotton fibers, etc.

Cold air and night temperature is more favorable for the aggravation of symptoms as when there is a colder temperature the, the body reactions of IgE increase, the respiratory cavities and bronchioles will constrict as well causing these problems.

I will not consider asthma in your case, since the PULMONARY FUNCTION TESTS(PFT) were normal, in asthma we expect some changes in the PFT, importantly after give a inhalar which enlarges the airways. If there is change for more than 15% it is considered specific to Asthma.

You are on the right medications, for an allergy one needs a prophylactic treatment which will have to be taken even when the person remains normal, they will do their best in preventing the next attack. MONTICOP LC is helping you in this way, the nasal sprays and allergy drops are needed to relieve your nose blocks and other symptoms.There is no need to change your medicines

To prevent an allergy the best method of treatment will be to prevent the allergen / substance your prone to catch an allergy with, try with these simple things:

1. Cover your nose and mouth when ever you get exposed to dust or go out
2. You must see an ENT specialist to get your nose examined, for a deviated nasal septum, any mass/ nasal polyp , which will be a trigger factor for allergy in many people.
3. Avoid cold drinks, ice creams, chilled water whenever you have an episode of allergy.
4. Also, eat well and you may take VITAMIN C TABLETS daily, chew able or swallow able tablets, as vit c is known to provide immunity against cold and allergy. Follow a good healthy diet.
5. Wash your blankets in boiling water and dry indoors so that they do not attract more pollen.

Hope I answered your question, I would be available for your follow up queries as well .

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.