Can alcohol addiction causes low WBC Count and haemoglobin count?

Hi! I have a slightly low WBC Count (4.0). Also slight Anemia (4.28). I believe this may have been brought on by alcohol use. How long without drinking will lead to those numbers improving? Thanks!
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need details of complete blood count... Detailed Answer: Dear sir, I would not be able to relate low hemoglobin and low WBC count to alcohol without looking at other blood markers. I would need to look into your whole CBC including MCH , MCV , MCHC and peripheral smear to establish the type of anemia, its relation to alcohol and the type of treatment needed. If you have your complete blood reports with you, please upload it here using the site's uploader. It would also be good to know the reasons why the test was done? And if you also have had your liver functions assessed. Looking forwards to your reply... Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Can alcohol addiction causes low WBC Count and haemoglobin count? 36 minutes later
Thanks for your response, Dr. XXXXXXX I am regularly tested for liver function for high cholesterol and it is always normal. Test was done for my yearly physical and because 6 monthe ago i tested as slightly anemic. B12 is 711 and iron is 91- both normal, ferretin was 107, but RBC was low. I do not have my MCH, MCV, and MCHC. When last tested, i had just gotten off of antibiotic for a sinus infection and was still feeling ill (that was 2 weeks ago). Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: I would urge for further testing... Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for your reply . Looking at your reports the anemia does not seem to be iron deficiency or vitamin B12 deficiency related . Please get these tests done - MCH, MCV, and MCHC along with peripheral smear. Chronic alcoholism leads to depression of bone marrow due to its direct toxic effects and it would result in macrocytes in blood picture . You can proceed to consult a hematologist after getting the aforementioned preliminary test for further bone marrow evaluation . Till then it will be highly recommend to stop alcohol intake . Take care. Dr. Shruti