Can abscess in the molar tooth cause back pain?

I have a right, upper molar, that I believe is abscessed. There is still a small part of the tooth in tact. The exterior of the tooth was in perfect condition. I believe the decay was due to the Dentist not sealing it properly. (Although I complained, the Dr. said it was fine!) When cleaning that area, I get a strong pain down the left side of my back. At times, I get the same sensation just above my left breast. Could it be connected?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 32 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

It is not possible for an abscess in the molar tooth to cause pain in the back or near the breast. A painful molar tooth could cause pain or in the ear, around the eye, behind the ear and upper neck.

It could be possible that the pain in the upper left breast is related to the back pain, as these muscles are part of the shoulder girdle. It could have happened because of a muscle catch or sprain to that group of muscles.

I would advise you take a second opinion from another dentist for the molar.

You could also try the following
1. Avoid eating chewy, hard food
2. Avoid eating on the affected side
3. Salt water gargles or betadine gargles can help you ease the pain
4. Visit a physician for the back and the pain in the chest. Painkillers like aceclofenac will help.

I hope I have answered your query. Kindly accept my answer if there are no follow up queries.

I wish you a speedy recovery