Can a thyroid test or vitamin D test reveal pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Hi , wanted to know if a thyroid test or vitamin b12/D test can reveal pregnancy in any way ? The background to this is that i recently got my tests done for thyroid (T3 , T4 and TSH ) and vitamin B12 and D blood tests done and have will have someone else go and collect the reports on my behalf . Is there any way any of these blood tests can reveal if i am pregnant (My home pregnancy test came positive ).

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

First let me congratulate you on getting urine pregnancy test positive.

Now let me answer your question. Thyroid hormone profile reveals details of the thyroid hormones only and vitamin B or any other vitamins also reveal details about their normal levels and associated functional status only.

Unfortunately none of them reveal pregnancy status as there are no standard parameters available to predict pregnancy by these values.

Hence I request you to get “serum beta hCG” blood test which is specific to predicting the pregnancy accurately. This test will also help you in knowing the exact gestational age of your baby.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any more concerns if you have.