Can a surgical procedure be used to correct thin skinny leg ?

Question
HI WHEN I WAS BORN I THINK I GOT POLIO ON MY RIGHT LEG, IS SKINNIER THAN THE OTHER, I AM HEALTHY I DO ALL KINDS OF SPORTS, CAN I HAVE A SURGERY TO MATCH MY LEFT LEG, I HAVE A SMALL INCISION ON MY RIGHT ANKLE, BUT I I DONT WEAR SHORTS BECAUSE OF MY LEG SKIINIER, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN ADVISE? WHAT ARE THE STEPS, MAYBE SURGERY TO ENHANCE MY RIGHT LEG, I AM 36 YEAR OLD, DO ALL KINDS OF SPORTS, BUT I'M FRUSTRATED THAT I CANNOT WEAR SHORTS, I AM EMBARRASED BY IT IM ALWAYS HIDING, WEARING LONG PANTS, HARDLY GO TO THE BEACH, PLEASE I LIVE IN NEW YORK I NEED HELP, IM MARRIED, HEALTY LITTLE GIRL, NO ISSUES AND MY SIBLINGS THE SAME WAY, HEALTHY, JUST ME GOT THAT, I WALK FINE
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Can a surgical procedure be used to correct thin skinny leg ? 21 minutes later
how much would a surgery cost? will it come out as close as possible to look like left leg, any financing avail in any doctor in the new york area, im willing to try anything to enhance my right leg, all i need is guidance, pros, cons, im just tired of living like this im getting more frustrated, keep hiding from people and not wearing shorts is a killer, please i need help, thanks !!

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

For a unilateral thinning of the leg, there are two available options of treatment - implants & fat grafting.

The implant option is a simple straight forward answer for a patient with unilateral leg atrophy. If the muscle in the back of the leg is deficient then this is an ideal answer.

Fat grafting works better for a circumferential correction (all around the leg). This is also a good option.

You need to discuss both the options with your cosmetic surgeon.

Regarding the Clinic/Hospital at your place, I am sorry I am not aware of as I am in India. Perhaps a GP would be able to refer you to the best cosmetic surgeon available. The approximate cost will depend on the procedure which your surgeon chooses for you.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can a surgical procedure be used to correct thin skinny leg ? 10 hours later
I did some research,I actually had club feet very mild,my right leg is about an inch thinner than left side,can I still have surgery to increase size from my knee all the way down,I have a scar in my ankle from surgery,I think I have a metal piece in it,what can be done