Can a strong course of antibiotics cause itching in vagina and penis post intercourse?

Question
Hi. I have a new girlfriend and we have had sex 2-3 times over the last few weeks but we had sex 3 times in just a few hours the a week ago. I started with a very itchy penis with little red spots under my foreskin on the head of my penis. I also got them under my pubic area but they have dried now and flake off. It's still a little itchy but not as bad as it was. She had no symptoms other than saying she had a sore vagina. She has also just finished a strong course of antibiotics for her finger. Could this have anything to do with it?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 11 hours later
Hi

An itchy penis and red spots mean an inflammation. As your girlfriend had a vaginal sore as well as a finger infection and was on antibiotics, it could be the infection which would have passed on to you from her.

During sexual intercourse, there is direct contact of the mucosa of both the partners, the mucosa being a very susceptible area to catch an infection very easily, most of the infections including STD's gain entry in this way. The genital area being very sensitive, manifests with severe itching , redness and discharge, more often getting worse due to worry

Most often if the female partner has symptoms of abnormal vaginal discharge, foul smelling and a burning sensation, pain or itching in the vagina , we think of vaginitis. In such cases we recommend treating her partner too.

If you had used a new brand of condom , I can also think of a contact dermatitis, which is an allergic reaction to condoms and presents in a similar way. An allergy or infection is the best bet.

Enquire about her past sexual encounter and know her completely before you get intimate with her.

I suggest you get an examination done from a doctor,along with some investigations of blood and urine, you may need a course of antibiotics and antihistaminics and some topical creams

Hope I answered your questions, I am available for the follow up queries as well.