Can a skin graft be removed 3 weeks after surgery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Can a skin graft be removed immediately 3 weeks after the surgery?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is the bandage over the graft that is removed. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX It is not the graft that is removed immediately 3 weeks after surgery.It is the bandage over the graft that is removed.It takes 2-4 weeks time to heal the lesion depending upon type and size of graft.so,bandage can be removed after 2-4 weeks. Sutures that are given to secure the graft in place can be removed after 1-2 weeks. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be removed 3 weeks after surgery? 13 hours later
No no im not talking about the bandage! I mean the graft. I dont like the graft on my eyelids which change my eye completely and even worse than before putting the graft on. So i decided to remove the graft and just stitch the wound back. Is it better to take the graft off at earlier stage ? Will the scar become worse? The graft is very hard and crusty now. Is it ok to remove at this stage? The graft was taken from behind my ear. Now my ear feel so tight and it is pulled back to very close to the skull. Will my ear spring back to its original position later ? Should i massage it? Will it help? Thanks doctor. Await your reply.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer: You will get almost normal colouration in future. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query Now you have properly explained your problem. You shouldn't do silly things. Things will be alright after sometime. You can't remove the graft at this stage as it will result in bad scar and bad look and defeating the purpose of graft. There will be some discoloration of skin from the donor site. As it is take from behind your ear and it is almost covered area by pinna. You will get almost normal coloration at the grafted site after some time. You should give time for healing. You don't need any massage for the ear, that will also become normal with time. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be removed 3 weeks after surgery? 41 minutes later
But the grafts are in wrong position snd wrong angle, which changed my eye shape completely and it went out to the outer corner of my eyes and pulled the outer corner downward. Do u still think this is ok? Do u think the corners will went up itself later? The graft will automatically change the angle and position later? If not, i have no choice and have to remove them as i dont want to live my whole life with this ugly eye shape. It just changed my identity!! Please advise. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Plastic surgeon is the right person for suggestion Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query It is very difficult to assess without proper clinical examination. You should talk to your surgeon and get advice from plastic surgeon.Plastic surgeon is the right person to give suggestions. If possible, you may please discuss the details with your plastic surgeons with before graft pictures.You shouldn't do any thing by your own and don't disturb wound in any way. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be removed 3 weeks after surgery? 9 hours later
I dont like the graft!!! It is placed beyond the outer corner of my eyes. It look awful!!! It has been 3 weeks already. Is it safe to remove the graft at this stage? After removing the graft, will it return to my previous eyes before the surgery?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: You should take second opinion from plasticsurgeon Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query You shouldn't disturb your wound in any way. Even if you want to remove it, it has to be removed by surgeon. Simply peeling it off is not the way. You should take second opinion from plastic surgeon. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can a skin graft be removed 3 weeks after surgery? 11 hours later
I know the graft has to be removed by a surgeon not by myself. Im just asking if i want to remove the graft, do i need to wait few months until it completely heal or i can remove it anytime? Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Operation can be planned after complete healing. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query If you are not satisfied with your look then another operation can be planned in 2nd sitting. Another operation can be done only after proper healing of the wound. You can't get it removed any time. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX