Can a red rash on the penis be a indication of STD?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I woke up and noticed a red rash on the head of my penis and a red ring on the shaft of my penis. Haven't had sex in 6 months. Did a lot of walking yesterday and was wondering if this could be chaffing related or an std of some sort. Pretty worried and could use some help. It doesn't hurt unless it rubs against my underwater.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: send few good resolution pictures of the area Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for red rash on the penile head. I request you to kindly send high resolution pictures of the penile area along with certain important information. I further ask you some relevant information from your side: - Have you felt any discharge over the penis head. If yes then is it watery or pus like or whitish. - Was the sexual act unprotected The best of the part would be to send few good resolution pictures of the area so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia) "Wish you good health" with regards, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Can a red rash on the penis be a indication of STD? 9 minutes later
The sex was protected. There was some oral sex that was unprotected. No discharge or pain. I didn't notice anything till I took a shower this morning and saw the redness. No discharge or discomfort except for when it rubs up against my under ware. Out of town so can't get to my doctor for a couple days. I attached a picture. Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Sexually Transmitted Disease; just d/t friction Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your further follow up and sending the picture to clear all our doubts. The very first thing to tell you is that your rash is not at all related to any type of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. I was quite sure that there can not be any Sexually Transmitted infection manifesting after 6 months of time but to fully confirm and give proper diagnosis I preferred to see the picture. There is no STD which can manifest after even unprotected intercourse too. The protected intercourse makes nil possibility of any STDs. The red area appeared due to the friction due to continuous walking. Even sometimes we see appearance of mild frictional blisters which are formed due to the friction caused by our undergarments to penile head. Due to the friction the superficial skin gets mildly peeled off and abraded and it leads to the kind of redness which you mentioned and can see in the picture. This is very superficial type of injury to the penis and so heals in a few days and it never leads to any problem. Let me tell you again that these things are quite normal and usual things, so there is no need to go for any tests or visiting a doctor. For the interim of help you can follow the suggestions below: - Wash your penile area for two times in a day with plane water. Wash it very gently but properly. - Wear cotton undergarments. Change these two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments. - Avoid sexual intercourse for few days ( if it is the possibility). Preferably do not masturbate for few days. - Do not try to touch the area unnecessarily or pinch and pop the area otherwise can lead to secondary infection. I reassure you again that these things are quite normal and usual things, so there is no need to go for any tests or visiting a doctor. I hope these information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)

Follow-up: Can a red rash on the penis be a indication of STD? 40 minutes later
Added a couple more pics. Thanks for your help. I was pretty worried there for a second. I can now have fun on my last day of vacation. Thanks thanks thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: No chance of any STD Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your further follow up and sending more pics. I again reassure you for no chance of any Sexually Transmitted Diseases in yourself. Just enjoy the weekend and the forthcoming new year ahead with best of health and wealth. Always use protection for the best safety!! I hope these information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)