Can a pregnant women consume weight gain products like nutrigain and whey protein?

Mar 2016

Can a pregnant women (of 1 1/2 to 2 months) consume weight gain products like Nutrigain & Whey Protine? if yes then for how long can she take it?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Yes, pregnant women can take protein supplements. It should be taken throughout the pregnancy period till the delivery of the baby. After that she may continue during the lactation period also.

In pregnancy period, extra 350 kcal/day energy and extra 23 gm/day protein are required than usual. Also extra 600 kcal/day energy is needed during 1st six month of lactation period. Normal weight gain in pregnancy period is 10-12 kg.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen