Can a pregnant woman have raised ESR level?

can a pregnant woman have raised esr?
her Hb is 9.8
serum & ionic calcium normal on the lower side.
vit d3 in the insufficient range. 50
magnesium normal
uric acid normal
pregnacy going normal
blood sugar PP after consuming 75mg of glucose 104
had a bout of SIJ inflammation for few days. no swelling or fever. now fine.
now absolutely normal
her mother died of SLE at the age 26
esr test being repeated.
urine RE and culture underway.
x XXXXXXX chest has been advised.
weight 62 kgs height 5'6''
no history of any type of ailment
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 34 minutes later

Mild rise in esr is possible in pregnancy, but 115mm is on very high side. Recent bout of inflammation may be the cause. You need to repeat it if the inflammation has subsided. If this has not regressed, you have to do full screening of the patient which includes complete blood count with peripheral smear examination, to look for cell morphology, which will provide clue for further investigations.

At this stage of pregnancy, I will not advise any radiological investigation, unless it is necessary. It becomes necessary, only if no other source for inflammation is found. If it is so, then X-ray will be done with proper precautions. Autoimmune processes in the body need to be ruled out. Your primary physician will make it out what necessary investigations are needed to be carried out. Please do not worry. Let us wait for the investigations to be completed.

Dr. Ticku
Follow-up: Can a pregnant woman have raised ESR level? 4 hours later
repeat ESR report has come,its 74 mm/hour.earlier report had shown 115 mm/hour.research documents show that anemic women can have esr up to 95mm/hour due to gestational & haemoglobin concentrations. the inflammation of the pelvic region is totally gone. she is almost in her 8rth month. her gyne told me today that the raised esr of 74 is normal in pregnancy. she has clearly told that nothing to be alarmed about-its normal.

comment please.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 39 hours later

At the moment as the ESR value is reducing we can leave it alone. Your daughter can repeat the ESR say after 40 - 50 days after delivery. If the repeat values are no within the reasonable range, she will need further evaluation to rule out all possible etiological factors.

I hope I was able to address your concerns. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Dr. Ticku