Can a police breath test give an inaccurate level of alcohol in a thalessemia patient?

could a police breath test give an inaccurate level of alcohol reading to a b-thalessemia patient
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for somebody your question.

This is a very good question. The answer is very simple however. The police blood test for alcohol is completely independent of the red blood cell. The police blood test simply detects the level of alcohol in the circulating bloodstream.

Thalassemia has no impact on tHe reading obtained by the police blood test and the result should be interpreted as accurate.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be clear and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert