Can a person live a lifetime with a non union apex patellae?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Can a person live a lifetime with a non union apex patellae? The patellar tendon still affixed to this free floating, distal down apex patellae is unknown (I need an MRI.) I present with dextrality of lateral & ap rotation at 30 degrees. Folks do not know how to fix me in this region. My extensor function is radically altered, yet as collaterals are not involved I can stand. I possess a "gimped gate" after
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NonUnion of patella doesn't pose much problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

If the Quadriceps tendon (extensor apparatus) is intact, then the nonunion of the distal pole of patella is not a matter of concern.

If there is a rupture of the extensor mechanism (Quadriceps) along with a fracture patella, then there will be EXTENSOR LAG leading to gait abnormality. I suspect this in your case.

An MRI scan of the involved knee joint is needed to establish the extent of injury to the Quadriceps tendon and anyother soft tissue pathology.

Once a Quadriceps rupture is diagnosed, Surgical reconstruction of the tendon is to be done to provide normal functioning of the extensor mechanism of the knee which inturn improves the gait pattern and provides stability to the knee joint.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Can a person live a lifetime with a non union apex patellae? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Prasad! I'm working my quadricep with a neuro stim (contracting) as a hunch. (Kindly please understand I'm only a lay person.) Your reply is priceless to me. At this time I was doing so only to bring back around the 30 degree right rotation of the knee joint. It is slowly working; albeit I do not not know absolute where to affix the 8 electrodes. I've discovered two areas; being posterior while criss crossing the anterior, then I use all 8 from my hip to below the joint in an "s" to complete the second discovered circut. Bottom line: should be conserned with the rotation (surgury will assuredly correct this) yet if no tissue pathology is diagnosed involving the quad upon the mri
this is the concern, could I obtain a proper gait wth a rotated knee? @the. be to be tooconcerned ssesecond e. second
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need a proper & complete evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

This is just to inform you that the Electrode stimulators which you are using falls in the category of Accessory treatment methods (not definitive treatment). It may provide some clinical improvement in the strength of the Quadriceps muscle but it will not correct the underlying root cause of your rotated knee.

A rotated knee could be due to a problem either in the hip joint of the same side or in the knee joint proper. A detailed clinical examination/ evaluation is necessary to diagnose the cause for your rotated knee and based on the cause, it has to be treated accordingly.

So, I suggest you to consult an Orthopedic surgeon for a detailed workup and further management.

Hope I have justified your query. Good day