Can a mole with hair growing in it be a nevi with moderate atypia?

Dec 2013

HI, I had a mole almost eraser sized shaved off from my belly 16 days ago, the mohs surgeon said it was 99% a nevi with moderate atypia.Hairs were growing in it and around it. i have not heard back yet and fear that i will receive bad news.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide important details Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic. I can understand your concern for the mole excised from the abdominal site. After reading your query it appears that you are quite stressed regarding the possibility of melanoma. To tell you scientifically and medically regarding moles- We have with us the cells known as melanocytes in the skin which gives color to the skin. At some places these are naturally and genetically more in number. At these places these proliferates inside the skin and forms the moles. It may appear any time after birth and is more common in people with white skin. Most of the moles are totally benign in nature and do not impose any malignant potential. Only very few percentage of moles turn into melanoma. To differentiate between a benign mole and possibility of melanoma we see certain important clinical points. So before I proceed any further I would like to ask few points regarding the lesion : 1. Had you felt itching, pain or any unusual finding any time over mole. Was the mole removed for any specific reason or just as a routine cosmetic reason. 2. Was there any kind irregular borders kind of thing you observed in your mole. 3. Was there any variegated ( different) colors you observed in your mole. 4. Any family history of melanoma or skin cancer. If you have any picture of the mole then it would be best to analyze the same. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kanodia) Waiting for your reply so that I can guide you further. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)