Can a miscarriage cause pelvic pain? Pain similar to day of ovulation

can a miscarriage cause pelvic pain...i recently suffered one in feb and now 2 weeks out of the month ( period and ovulation) i have a dull ache on my left pelvic area.

it is similar to what i get on the day of my OV (Mittelschmerz) (usually it used to last 2 mins) now it lasts days and days...not all day but a few dull aches through the day for about 2 weeks.
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

Yes , a miscarriage can cause pelvic inflammatory disease

If it was a spontaneous miscarriage and complete abortion without evacuation done then the cause can be thickened endometrium or bulky uterus depending upon the weeks of gestation

If evacuation was done then the chances of an infection increase due to surgical intervention

If you get an ultrasound done you may find a small amount of free fluid in the pelvic cavity or an endometrial thickness

Chances of retained products seem less as you are not having heavy periods

This type of pain usually subsides with a course of antibiotics prescribed by your doctor

An antispasmodic and anti inflammatory drug should be taken under doctor's guidance and prescription

I hope I have answered your query , if you want to ask anything else you are welcome

Warm regards

Wishing you speedy recovery