Can a mild pain below the chin be due to swollen lymph nodes?

I noticed a mild pain when i bend my chin all the way down...its under my jawline doesnt hurt much but i can feel a little pain when i put pressure on the area. I know i have lymph nodes in that area of my neck, i felt to see if they are swollen but i cant tell, my left side feels fine but i do feel the same thing with my fingers on the left as I do on the right, just with no pain or visible swelling. I am usually fairly healthy and this worries me. I have only noticed it for a day or so. No other symptoms that i know of, and I havent been sick. Please help
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

This is most likely a bit of benign swelling of te lymph nodes. This commonly happens with exposure to viruses or allergens commonly present in the environment. Likely your immune system defeated the virus and the swelling is just a residual effect leading to the mild discomfort you report.

I recommend you try to relax, get plenty of rest, eat and hydrate well for the next week. I am confident your symptoms will improve within 7 to 10 days.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga