Can a maxillary sinitus spread to the brain and what would be the symptoms?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Can a maxillary sinitus spread to the brain and what would the symptoms be?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later

Maxillary sinus is separated from eyes and brain by a very thin bone and untreated maxillary sinusitis may spread to brain.

This is a life threatening condition and patient may be in serious distress.

Patient may have high grade fever with chills, vomiting, severe headache, difficulty in vision, bluured vision, coloured vision, dieoreintation.

In case of doubt, you can go for CT/ MRI scan brain and Lumbar Puncture for confirmation.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Can a maxillary sinitus spread to the brain and what would be the symptoms? 5 hours later
I had a ct scan done, i've just had this infection for weeks, antibiotics didn't work.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
You should consult with ENT surgeon as sometimes the ostia of maxillary sinus gets obstructed and another opening has to be made for drainage of maxillary sinus.
Thanks,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Can a maxillary sinitus spread to the brain and what would be the symptoms? 1 hour later
I'm seeing an eye nose and throat specialist today. The ct scan was normal just inflamed sinuses
The ent said I have terrible allergies and put me on steroids to clear the infection up. I am very short of breath and kind of shaky

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 22 hours later
You should take steroid for a short period of days as prescribed by your ENT surgeon.
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava