Can a major heart attack and stroke cause damage to left hand side, peak in troponin levels and sleepiness ?

my mum had a major heartattack and stroke last wednesday, my mums heart at the bottom is now weak and the troponin levels were peaking today at over 1000 it has crept up since friday, my mum still knows who we are and can answer any questions asked but the left hand side is damaged and they are just managing to get my mum to swallow very small quantities of custard, what chance does my mum have, they have just moved her today from cardiology to the stroke unit, she is concious but sleepy, can you help
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Your mother is getting shifted from cardiology to stroke unit means she has survived a heart attack and now only some part of her brain is now left damaged due to stroke. Whatever functions have been affected, only time will tell to what extent will she recover.Her brain is functioning normally as she can recognize you and when she will start taking a liquid or semisolid diet she might even be discharged from the hospital. She might remain bed ridden- can be told only by the doctor attending her - but she most probably has survived for now.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.